Backstory: I recently sold some computer components to a friend and after building the computer, it would not resume from S3 sleep. I had previously used the components to sleep and resume many many times, so I did a lot of research into why a computer will sleep and almost resume but not get there. Turns out it’s almost always a badly written device driver that is not ACPI compatible.
Diagnosing the problem
- Remove all connected USB devices. If you can, use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse
msconfig.exeand chose diagnostic startup (See screenshot)
- Open event manager and check if there are any critical errors. Don’t worry too much about the Errors and Warnings
- Check for Windows disk errors: Right click on drive and select properties. Go to tools tab and click ‘Check now’ under Error-checking. See below for screenshot.
If the problem is now fixed, you can now start enabling some items on the startup.
- Select the Services tab
- Add all of the microsoft services and restart again.
- If this has not returned, keep adding 1-2 services and restart again to diagnose which is problematic